What is a Grid Tied Inverter?
Grid-interactive or Grid-tied or On-grid Inverter (GTI) is an electronic device that converts Direct Current (DC) voltage to Alternating Current (AC) voltage and that can operate in parallel with the electric utility grid, and that is the type of current utilized by the majority of electrical appliances in our homes. In addition, the GTI synchronizes the phase voltage and frequency of the supply to fit the utility grid (nominally 50Hz).
GTIs allow interconnection of renewable energy systems with the electric utility grid. The power processing circuits of a GTI have similar working principle as that of a conventional stand-alone DC-AC SMPS. The primary differences are in their control algorithm and safety features. A GTI basically takes a variable unregulated voltage from a solar module array, and inverts it to AC which is synchronized with the mains. It should automatically stop supplying electricity to the power lines when the grid is down.
Properly configured, a grid tie inverter enables a home owner to use an alternative power generation system like solar or wind power without extensive rewiring and without batteries. If the alternative power being produced is insufficient, the deficit will be sourced from the electricity grid.
Additional perks of being grid-tied include access to backup power from the utility grid (in case your solar system stop generating electricity for one reason or another). At the same time you help to mitigate the utility company`s peak load. As a result, the efficiency of our electrical system as a whole goes up.
Advantages of a Grid Tied System
- Save more money with net metering:
- A grid-connection will allow you to save more money with solar panels through better efficiency rates, net metering, plus lower equipment and installation costs.
- Grid-tied solar systems are cheaper and simpler to install.
- With net metering, homeowners can put this excess electricity onto the utility grid instead of storing it themselves with batteries.
- Net metering play an important role in how solar power is incentivized. Without it, residential solar systems would be much less feasible from a financial point of view.
- Energy storage typically comes with significant losses. The electric power grid is in many ways also a battery, without the need for maintenance or replacements, and with much better efficiency rates.
- A GTI can provide power to your house and even feed an excess of the electricity into the electric utility grid in order to help you lower your electric bill.
Disadvantages of a Grid Tied System
If the grid is disconnected due to power outage or any other reason, the grid-tied system stops working as it is interactive with the grid.
Why APS Grid Tied Inverters
- Higher Voltage Range : To overcome the voltage fluctuations of the Indian utility grid, APS Inverters offer higher voltage range as a default voltage setting through premium quality protection components to provide uninterrupted and hassle-free functioning of the system.
- Warranty : Better Warranty than most of the major brands available in market.
- Better THD Ratings : APS Inverter offers one of the best in class THD ratings to ensure better performance and durability which helps us offer better warranty than most of the other brands.
- Easy handling : Easy to install, and Easy to use.
- Multiple Monitoring Options : APS Inverters offer multiple remote monitoring options to cater to the different needs of various customers. APS Inverters are enabled with both, WiFi and GSM monitoring options. Just switch the monitoring device, and monitor the performance of your inverter anytime from anywhere in the world.